Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Parenting Milestones

Children have developmental milestones, but it wasn't until the last week or so that I realize that parents have them too.
There's the first night you bring home your new bundle of joy home. If everyone survived you feel like you've really accomplished something. You feel the same way when that same bundle of joy reaches their first birthday. You've kept the child alive for a whole year!
There are other milestones too like the first time one of your children has surgery or your first trip to the ER.
Every person in the world has heard the screams of a child in Wal-Mart because they didn't get what they wanted. Everyone in the world has started at THAT mom and wondered what terrible act she has committed to make her child act so terrible or even worse what kind of mother is she that her child would act that way. Last week I got to be THAT mom. I was at Wal-Mart with Sarah Grace and Cole and Sarah pitched the worst fit in the entire history of Wal-Mart. I have proof from a friend that was there that she could be heard from the back of the store while we were in the check out line. It was the single worst parenting experience I have ever had. As soon as I got to the van I called Jonathan and proceeded to tell him how terribly HIS daughter had behaved.
Today I have reached another milestone. I received a phone call from Elizabeth's school and was told that she might have pink eye. So today I am THAT mom that unknowingly sent her daughter to school with pink eye in order to infect the entire student population at Verbena. We aren't sure if it's pink eye or not. She feel fine and says her eye isn't bothering her. She did wake up in the night crying because it was hurting. I gave her Tylenol and Jonathan took her to school and said he would have the nurse check it out. Since a nurse cannot confirm a diagnosis I had to go get her. This of course was upsetting to me because I was about to head to the gym.
Oh well, I'm sure I have many more first coming on my parenting journey.

No comments: